“Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is gracious, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. ~ Phil. 4:8
My mission here at Good Books for Catholic Kids is to connect Catholic families with uplifting, worthwhile literature. Great literature informs our thoughts and thus helps determine our actions. Never underestimate the power of books to change the world!
What type of books will you see on my lists?
- Picture books with beautiful, inspiring illustrations
- Books with timeless, inspiring themes
- Books that promote virtue, whether explicitly or subtly
- Books that point the reader to the transcendentals: the true, good, and beautiful
- Books about saints and sinners which help form a healthy conscience
- Books by both Catholic and non-Catholic authors which contain elements of a Catholic world view
Please remember that each child is unique, and while I have attempted to provide recommended ages for each list, each child is unique and you as the parent know best.
What sort of book reviews will you find?
- Reviews of popular modern books
- Reviews which highlight lesser known classics
- Reviews of “Turkish Delight” books: popular but deadly
For each book, I include a short synopsis and themes for discussion with your child. I also indicate potential “danger” in the form of topics that really should be discussed with an adult either prior to or after reading to ensure the child is grasping the proper message.